Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Given over to death...for life's sake.

I woke early today and made my way to Redeemer for the Ash Wednesday service. The message of this was so important to me this morning. I've been blindsided by a lot of fear that seems to come hourly. Turning this away means leaning into what I can't see right now. It's exposed some trust issues. It's revealed to me (via my friends) that I believe that I'm chronically unique. That's a very unhelpful place to be, and a harmful thing to believe for one so hungry for change. So hopeful for what's ahead I don't want to wait. Yes, yes, do you hear much fuel burning?

Example

So, I stood today, with 10 others in a very quiet chapel. I took a mark that said in essence,"From dust I was made, and to dust I will return." It's a very important reckoning for really living life, as Richard Rohr has stated in a book I'm reading right now. It's a death and resurrection. Rohr says Jesus did not once ask us to worship him; he only told us to follow him on this necessary three-day journey. To love well, to find the life I hope for...I follow.

2 Comments:

Blogger ohchicken said...

amen.
(and thanks for taking one for the team.)

7:41 PM

 
Blogger mrs metaphor said...

"...I believe I am chronically unique."
I feel like this....a lot...which probably explains why the search for a tribe often feels like such a desperate one to me. I think I may actually be ready to be a "part" again of something bigger than myself. That is a good thing. Thanks for the good soul medicine today.

8:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home