Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Eve...

Life is full of little rescues. They come upon me, not only when I least expect it, but when I least think I need one.

I've been down with some viral/throat/sinus fun. And my pal Thomas leaned in to me about staying active, as my family is in Maryland for a wedding. I found laughter at the Christmas Eve service at Redeemer. Sitting with new and old friends. I didn't know how to react to the words I was hearing and reading, the way my heart was listening, and the thoughts that came and went while it all proceeded. The sermon spoke of Heavenly Host singing Peace to shepherds. Because God knew then and knows now that we need it. That may have been when I laughed to myself. God knows I need it now, and His gift to me is peace.

I found comfort in the voices of many friends singing Christmas songs. It's strange that with so many amazing musicians, playing music together at gatherings is the last thing we think to do. There was just a sweet energy to the house when we sang. The best part was probably Charlie Peacock and Jeff Roach alternating on toy piano, with Kenny Meeks taking a fantastic guitar solo on Blue Christmas. The finale of Feliz Navidad that lasted 4 verses longer than it could have. I'm watching "Dancing at Lughnasa" while I write and it's not unlike the feeling they got when the wireless starting playing irish dance tunes. A gradual eruption into joy.

I'm headed to the Dente house today. It will be sweet. We'll play FIFA soccer on the Xbox, drink some belgian goodness, and just be together, which is easy there. And so enjoyable. It's a house of love over there.

So, today, it's quiet. And I'm still sick. But I've found a piece of happiness in where life has me today. I'm feeling powerfully naive and hopeful somehow. I was reminded again last night - in the church bells of England, the singing masses, and the single candle I held, the laughter - the story is true. Peace is here. Happy Christmas!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ang said...

Henry has asked me I don't know how many times this week what exactly the angels said to the shepherds in the fields...and each time I struggle, just a little, to recall "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good news of great joy which will be for all the people" (thank you, Charlie Brown Christmas)

It comes to me after a pause. Maybe the pause is there to keep me from glossing over just how important it is for me to remember first to not be afraid and then also to praise God for the good news of great joy...you know?

praying good health to return to you soon.

12:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home