Saturday, November 03, 2007

Missing pieces...

I was at IKEA buying some furniture. My dad had come from Illinois to help transport, in his pickup truck. I rented a uhaul. We had big hopes. I am REALLY happy with what I got. Well, in one day we rocked it to Atlanta, ate swedish meatballs, shopped for EVERYTHING and started to head home. Upon loading the truck, we discovered my dad's pickup had been broken into...

Our "friend" made off with my Timbuk2 computer bag which contained:
My g4 powerbook, which had:
all my pictures not backed up since '06...including the recent trip to Kenya and Rwanda.
My harddrive, which had:
all my music, not backed up since '06.
Most tragically, my moleskin notebook which had:
a few letters I'd written, never to send.
reflections and thoughts about our experience in the villages.
a few songs, yet to be written.

My heart is sad for that. Especially the thoughts and songs. The "gold" I brought home from my trip has been stolen. Granted, it's here inside, somewhere. But it will take more work to access that. And I'm pretty weary. Blech. What a year for a new year.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

My mouth is literally hanging open and my heart is SICK for you. I am so sorry - so very sorry. I can't even imagine what a loss that must be.

It makes me smile, though, to see how well you are taking the loss - shows where your treasure really is. :)

8:58 PM

 
Blogger Mrs Metaphor said...

Oh, snap. All that comes to me is just how sucky that is...ack.

10:02 PM

 
Blogger Sady Jayne said...

I hope karma truly is a bitch.

5:25 PM

 
Blogger jdaviddark said...

dude...
very sorry to hear about that.
all manner of sad.
i believe i'd be hitting a wall and staring at the nothing with rage and impotence.

mercy upon thee,
jdd

7:09 PM

 
Blogger Diane said...

Oh man, my heart breaks more for you than it had before. I know the loss of treasured digi-creations (though my losses did not hold a candle to yours). I am so ... so everything grievous and indignant for you. Damnable meatballs!

(Ahem; I've been needing something from IKEA for months and had I known you were making a run ...)

Oh sigh. I wait *hoping* God will hand this thief his own heart, that you may be restored to your creations, re-integrated with your pain, and reunited with things dredged from a thousand deep wells within.

9:57 PM

 
Blogger Trevor Henderson said...

great to see you today Steve maybe you will need that large whisky sooner rather than later - sorry to read about the loss of notebooks and letters.... we'll be in touch soon to set up getting together

9:58 PM

 
Blogger hal. said...

I'm sorry Steve, that really sucks :(
To put it lightly. Sigh.

11:26 PM

 
Blogger Cerise said...

I'm so sorry, Steve. Thieves always take more than what they...take. The indefinable part of Africa, more than the sights, smells, feelings or sounds, that stays with you when memories fade away - that will never leave you. I'm 15 years away from it and it hasn't left me - whatever 'thing' it is that makes you constantly long to return. Blessings on you.

10:32 AM

 
Blogger Jena said...

when it rains it pours, right. thinking about you over all the things that hurt right now. they seem to keep coming.

jena

3:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home