Monday, October 29, 2007

Happy returns...

I returned home Friday from Rwanda. Many, many hours on the plane. Lots of writing and music, to help access the heart and head connection. Lots of deep sighs, like something is exiting my spirit. A birthday party at the fantastically trendy "Cabana" reminded me of how out of place I can feel in places like that. Given where I had been 24 hrs earlier, it was a helluva transition. It reminded me of something from Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. Can you say meat market?
Well, the next day involved 2, yes 2 fall festivals. Here's some pics from Pumpkin Fest, downtown Franklin.
Example
Evan has been consuming civil war stories like candy corn...and it followed that he wanted to dress as a union soldier. Here pictured with Boba Fett. Evan says Janga Fett. I say Boba. Boba tea.
Example
After a little convincing, Ella dove in for pictures. Also got shots with Queen Amadalla and Princess Leia.
Example
Ok, I'm a fan, too.
__
From there we went to El Dia de los Muertos, at Cheekwood, a beautiful plot of land in west Nashville, with lots of art and lots of gardens. I remember a commitment in my heart that I'd return here a few more times. I'm considering a membership in the new year.
Example
Lots of space for contemplation. This is the bamboo garden - there are a few places like this that seem to naturally absorb tension.
Example
There were amazing crafts for the kids to do there, peasant style tacos (cilantro, diced onion, strange meats), Jarritos (fantastically oversugared mexican sodas) and Las Palatas (fantastically fantastic popsicles with real fruit). Evan and Chloe Dente are working on painting gourds.
Example
Ella got some time with her best friend in the whole wide world, Julia. Her folks, Dave & Susan, the Dentes and I all did the circuit.
Example
Lastly, there were scarecrows displayed with different themes. I had to snap a pic of this one. "Sunday Night Socialite." Fantastically trashy scarecrow.
I feel like the weekend was a long hug to my family, a welcome back from friends, and I'm one step closer to making it home again.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ang said...

Yeah, I got the boba vs jengo thing too from my boys...APPARENTLY it has quite a lot to do with "context." You see, in the original movies Boba is who we see chasing Han Solo and eventually taking his carbon frozen body to Jabba the Hut, right? BUT...in the Clone Wars (don't remember which one this was in the whole prequel thing) Jengo is Boba's father, has virtually the SAME outfit and uses his DNA to offer up for the clone troops, thus, Boba is his "son" but more specifically it's his DNA double...his clone...but he raises him as a son...See?

So, basically, who the heck knows who that was...if he's standing by clone trooopers, gotta go with Evan on that one...if he's standing with good ol Stormtroopers (again, SAME OUTFIT) then he's Boba...

welcome home...

5:02 PM

 
Blogger Anon said...

It was Jengo. Blue suit gives it away. Boba as an adult was greenish. Get with it.

6:58 PM

 
Blogger Mrs Metaphor said...

Well ok then, Mr Crankypants...I guess accounting in Afganistan will do that to ya.

-ang

10:29 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I know this post is old and this is a random comment, but the picture in question came up in a Google images search I did. I'm trying to find my 10 yr old son a decent civil war costume and I love the one Evan is wearing. Do you happen to know where it was purchased?

1:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home