Saturday, September 16, 2006

Still sitting still.

I've been sitting here reading an article about Sudan, and this peace agreement that is up in just more than a week. It wasn't really even an "agreement." All parties would have had to sign for that.

When the African Union troops pull out, there will probably be a massacre.
Example
I have a hunch the US is unable to send any troops, as they've been calling even 7-year retired troops back to serve in Iraq for probably over a year.

I'm feeling the full weight of this tonight.

Implicated.

I want to push against the paralysis of statistics and fears to hear one voice sound louder than bombs. Pray for Sudan and our leaders, that we'll respond as a nation to this injustice. It's a good way to show that our foreign interests aren't just revenge, oil and forcing democracy.

2 Comments:

Blogger ohchicken said...

wordless.

...but. you ARE part of the solution. and i am grateful that your voice is one that is able to be heard outside your own head.

1:28 AM

 
Blogger didlake said...

Hey, Steve!

This is Nathan - I met you at the Dallas concert the other day and mentioned your blog. Cheers!

Reading your post on Sudan has captured my attention and reminded me of when I was younger, thinking of being a missionary there - or in the Congo. Before the concert the other night, my girlfriend and I went to Le Madeline to eat some sandwiches. The cashier was a black lady with a indiscernable perception of the English language. When I asked her what her name was, she told me, and then I asked where she was from. "The Congo." I was shocked. "Well, why'd you leave?" "War. I fled."

I couldn't imagine the terror of being lost in your own country, in your own tribe, having to flee from the terror surrounding your own home. I know the situations in Congo and in Sudan are different, but I don't even feel I have the ability to relate. At a younger age, when thinking of being a missionary, I would mentally place myself in a hut in thd midst of the people - wondering what waking up to their devastation would be like. They are so many, and they are suffering. And I? I only have two hands.

So much of me fears situations like these, but how can I not help but go? Or help those who do go? These people are just like me - only they were not given the "privilege" to be numbed to the world by living in America, the home of the free and the land of the devastatingly silent.

May God grant us grace - that we might repent and truly act as agents of His love to the world sitting outside our front door.

peace
//nathan

6:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home