Monday, May 08, 2006

Mission Implausible.

I have a beef with the most recent installment of MI:3. It's actually a beef with adventure/action movies in general. Every time something goes on in an elevator - it requires quick exit through the ceiling of the elevator. That I understand. A person can't plan for that. However.

I travel a bit, and frequently in the elevator, my gaze goes upward. Consistently, I see recessed lighting and mirrors. Carpet. Not obvious trapdoor escape hatches. How many of those elevators exist, and isn't that short of some building code? I digress...
Example
I'm sad to see that this movie didn't open stronger in it's first week. The story is gripping, there are twists and turns, and the camera work is fantastic. The only question mark for the movie was the scientologically-informed actor, Cruise. Generally, the public is hating him.

I have to say he's a lot like some Christian artists I've heard speak. There is an unhealthy understanding and definition to their faith that informs their art in an extremely negative, co-opted manner. It appears Tom's scientology has sufficiently harmed the audience's ability to enjoy him as an actor. And that's too bad for MI:3. A good action movie complete with (yes, a spoiler) a daring elevator trapdoor escape hatch sequence.

1 Comments:

Blogger killedasouthernbelle said...

i could not agree more, and that is sad - but does that make me silly for believing all the stuff i hear about him? Im just sort of creeped out by the whole tomkat situation.

i was on the edge of my seat for most of the film...

12:38 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home