Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The guaranteed reward.

Did you do the right thing? Did you make the proper choice? Did it give you a sense of "ALRIGHT, I'm not wrong about this, and many people I know ARE!" No one was looking, and you demonstrated integrity. Given a great opportunity to cherry pick something SO easy - and you left it hanging. The feeling welled up inside, the adrenaline started pumping. And you pushed the impulse down underground. You didn't say the thing that you could have. Did that feel good not to respond as you know you could have and definitely had a right to do?
Example
Where were the acknowledgements? Not guaranteed? What?! Where was the "Good Job!" Was that unspoken? Was the cupcake/candy/sweet thing/treat not waiting for you? OK, at least the warm feeling, right?

Nope. I'm tasting the indifference these days. We aren't promised any of the encouragements. I actually live that that's not true. I'm entitled! That's what I'm having to unlearn. In fact, somedays I feel like doing the right thing got me in more shit than had I not. That's exactly what I wasn't told growing up. Especially about the Gospel.

There is a lot of undoing to be done. It’s probably going to mean sitting in the awkwardness and emptiness more than would feel natural. I want to know this pain in a way I can name it, and be present enough to emerge from it as someone still with something to offer family and friends.

That's from a blog entry I did 2 years ago. Things don't seem to get clearer.

It should and does get more difficult. Being alive to my story is so hard sometimes, I want to go back to sleep. Which is why I am desperate for my community of friends. I need help carrying the weight. There are days where we need to be carried. Days where we need to carry someone. Maybe the knowledge of such intimates is itself the unspoken and seemingly illusive reward.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carlen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fbfluent...
i'm only beginning to stick the li'l toe in blogwaters, but that superfriends bizness made me smile.

hope this finds you well,

1:35 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

david - it's an honor to have you by. I've got a lot to run by you, including some new music....hope you're well - give my best to sarah and the gang.

7:44 PM

 
Blogger killedasouthernbelle said...

Hey up there dave! glad you are back!
Flibbity: i like this. i have been thinking on this of late.
it seems the hardest thing is that i have forgotten how to ask to be carried - therfore not stepping up to carry. i need to get back in line and be ready for both.

10:56 AM

 
Blogger Steve said...

that's a freaking insight, nat. thanks for bringing that! Carlen, I'll figure out how to share the load. :)

3:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

f-fluent..
honored to be by. i'd be very pleased to have any number of things run by me any old time. we're back in the house and mostly chasing chillens around. we're writing and shtuff, but other than that, i'm not back at the high school till august. please happen by, E, or give me a ringaling (and yoyoyo to harv and nat)....

rock the casbah,
jdd

10:01 AM

 
Blogger Trevor Henderson said...

Makes me think of that Charles Williams thing of 'taking anothers burden' - two of his characters are talking and one tells the other that when we let others carry our burden we really have to let them do it - it's a real thing, the burden is with another, get on with what you need to do and know that it is carried. Could it really be like that? Was Williams drinking too much that night and getting into wishful thinking? - I hope not, I hope that it can be.

What a fine gathering of commenteers!

3:35 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

indeed it is a fine group, and congrats on your new addition!

I'm honored to be in the presence of such lovely people!

12:32 AM

 
Blogger Trevor Henderson said...

Thanks for the congrats... any tips on parenting would be much appreciated! Hope to see you again sometime - it has been too long and alas that whiskey club never did get up and running....

1:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home