Thursday, November 03, 2005

32 Eskimo Words For "What the f&*% do I do?"

My sister is getting married this weekend. She and her future husband are a great couple. They are smart, passionate people, intent on changing their part of the world.

I'm so looking forward to the time with family. Part of it, I'm scared about. There is a lot of crazy stuff that goes on when families get together.

A good friend said to me today, I am not responsible for other people's programs of recovery. Someone I know has been married to an alcoholic, and has continued to enable him to choose alcohol over relationship with her. They've almost divorced a few times. He puts her life in danger with his drinking. That is something only she can agree to accept.

A part of me feels like this is abandonment. What happens if I don't get involved? Haven't I failed to do something? Doesn't seem healthy.

Well, I went from feeling the need to have an O.K. Corral showdown, to realizing that I don't need to say anything out of trying to help. I will always be available if asked, but I can't be responsible for other people's programs of recovery.

I'm so looking forward to this special day for my sister. I hope it's everything she dreams it should be. It's an honor to sing at such a celebration. In a world of brokenness, it's such a breath to experience moments of true beauty. My prayer is that nothing is allowed to steal the joy of this weekend for her.

1 Comments:

Blogger malfunction54 said...

Hey, Congrats to your sis. which sister is it? If it's the one I knew, please pass on my best wishes for continued joy and a long, fruitful life :)

I often struggle with the "well, if I do nothing to solve the problem, am I contributing to it?" dilemma. In this case, your friend's advice is right on. That person needs to be in a place where your "help" is seen as welcome. Otherwise things tend to end up like the result of the O.K. corral scenario. No one knows who exactly started the shooting, but in the end a lot of people get hurt.

-Andy

9:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home