Wednesday, March 16, 2005

5 Questions from a fellow pilgrim.

From my dear friend, Jude. 5 Questions. We begin.

1) Where/what in the world do you consider your ’sanctuary’? Could be a place, room, city, persons, etc.

These days, I think there are a few places that I would call a sanctuary.

I meet with a group of fellows that have undermined my immaturity. A band of brothers, for sure. Truly, a community of men to be reckoned with.

I dwell in books more than ever, now. Reading of someone else’s process gives me hope for my own.

I like to play records. Something about all the formality of selection, the sleeve, placing the needle.

Oh, and there’s a guitar I love to strum. To name a few sanctuaries.

2) When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be Ryne Sandberg for the Chicago Cubs.
I wanted to be Walter Payton from the Chicago Bears.
I wanted to be Sonny Crockett from Miami Vice, carry a gun, wear a sport coat, and chase girls in bikinis, with my best friend who played “Tubbs.”
I wanted to be a rock and roll guitar player. I distinctly remember my first air-guitar/ hairbrush-mic singing to Greg Kihn Band’s “The Breakup Song.”

I still hope one of these dreams will come true.

3) Can you justify the existence of the Christian Music Industry?

No. But what fun is that.

It is for people who want to turn down/shut off their brains and hear (not all, but some) songs that are half-truthful about who Jesus is, and are half-truthful about the human condition. As an industry, it’s to provide music that is safe. Safe from thinking. Safe from entering the process of growing by risking what we believe; that there is more in the Gospel for us, in our weakness.

Again, though, in a word, no. Some days I can hardly justify my own existence. ☺

4) Who’s the funniest person you’ve ever met, and why?

Triumph the insult comic dog. Brilliantly executed, everytime. With a touch of O.T.T.ness.

Example

Pupil and Master pictured above.

5) What is your guilty pleasure in life?

Hmm. Something I engage in that entails a certain amount of regret after the fact (physical or mental). For me, that would be Margaritas. Las Palmas. Bottom-shelf. Big headache. Oh so good.

Thanks for such great questions, Jude.

3 Comments:

Blogger GBug said...

Great Answers my friend. And the fact you have a picture of you and Triumph is glorious.

Here's to shared margaritas.

your biggest fan
j xx

8:36 PM

 
Blogger Carlen said...

Wondering... is there significance in the fact that Triumph bears an undeniable, striking resemblance to Peanut? Could be some sort of Freudian link. Hmm.

9:08 PM

 
Blogger malfunction54 said...

You know, Mr. FlibbityFlu, I remember as if it were yesterday at our "pencilholders anonymous" meetings that you wanted to be either a clown named Bozu, or a crimestoppers police officer. What was his name, Neil Harris?

-andy

9:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home