Thursday, January 20, 2005

Simple associations of the English.

There was a lot of energy at the dinner table last night. Antsy bottoms half-seated on chairs. Lots of new uses for silverware. Lots of negotiations about bath-time, bed-time, and in between.

The air was thick with a curry smell, as we enjoyed some Indian food. It was one of those evenings where I wanted to retreat, though. Lots of things spinning in the head. My son applied some reductive thinking that quite cheered my heart in the midst.

He said,”Our friend Jude is from England.” Well, yes.

There’s a pause.

He continues loudly in that I’ll burst if I don’t say this voice,”The PILGRIMS are from England.” Yes, they did come from England. More pause. Thought and formula are working overtime. I can almost hear the clicking and whirring in his head. More pause.

“Is Jude a pilgrim?”

5 Comments:

Blogger GBug said...

Yes Evan... I am indeed a pilgrim.

I'm not, on the other hand, a father.

Laughing my little socks off, and just chuffed he remembers who I am.

j xx

2:03 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

That is exactly the same way in which I figured out the correlation between the British invasion and the pilgrim invasion...

9:59 PM

 
Blogger Steve said...

Nice follow! :)

11:22 PM

 
Blogger ohchicken said...

i love that boy of yours. and i love our little pilgrim. i just wish she'd dress like one.

12:23 PM

 
Blogger GBug said...

you have the weirdest fantasies annie...

2:50 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home