Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Earthmovers and the ultimate Mai Tai.

This week my dad celebrates 35 years at Caterpillar Tractor Co. as a civil engineer, doing many different aspects of design and development. This is particularly of interest to me as I don't know anyone my age that intends on being in the same job for more than a few years. I have seen my dad leave at 6am every morning and get home around 3pm every day of my life growing up. Having something like that to count on was a good thing on a few different levels.

One of my favorite things to do was to wake up upon hearing him hit the creaky stairs. He'd make that awful coffee (he's since gotten into the good dark stuff) and put it in this old thermos that he used for MANY years. I'd have oatmeal with him and we wouldn't talk a whole lot. If I got to the TV first, I'd have the muppets on at 5am. Otherwise, the news.

I think I was in awe of this provider some days - getting it done - heading off to a boss that was a real jackass or tough situations with the striking union labor throwing stuff at his car as he drove in to work. We were a fortunate family in that we were never for want. I can see how generationally it was really important to him to provide first and foremost. I knew when he came home he didn't have it left in him - and probably for many years didn't know what to do with that.

We missed a lot relationally. It also seemed that as my folks split, his heart got tender in ways I'd have never expected. The thing that most impresses me is that I find him always grateful for life these days. That's an opportunity I have at present. As I have such little ones growing up around me in my house, I can find myself grateful NOW, and not miss as much of the richness lurking in the craziness of this season.

Thanks, Dad, for working so hard for so long. I hope, when there wasn't much gratitude or thankfulness from your kids, that you knew well the joy that came from serving consistently in the manner you did for 35 years. Here's to the 5 weeks in Hawaii. It's well deserved. Now, may you pursue passionately the golf courses and the mai tai. Not necessarily in that order.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carlen said...

Beautiful, sweet tribute to Papa Gary. I hope he'll get to see this. He did a good job with his kids (especially that younger son of his.)

5:56 PM

 
Blogger Sady Jayne said...

Well said. I've rarely been more proud of him.

I always remember waking up to the jolt of the garage door as it raised underneath my (our) bedroom floor. I'd inhale the Drakkar that he had put on before heading downstairs and out the door.

11:29 PM

 
Blogger malfunction54 said...

The Gar-Bear! Wow, I recall vividly that old silver sub-compact car. Was that a pacer? He was always so kind to us kids. I remember when Marcos was staying with you for a while. That said a lot to me about his character, and yours :)

10:19 AM

 
Blogger malfunction54 said...

The Champ! It was the champ! That little car :)

10:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home