Thursday, November 25, 2004

Life....finds a way.

A quote from Jeff Goldblum, acting in the prehistoric-action-packed thrillllller, Jurassic Park. There's no explanation attached. It's just life. This was particularly relevant to me recently, as the holidays are upon us. Somehow, we get to celebrate, at least once a year, together, the "life, finding it's way."

There's much gratitude possible to living. And this is a good one to count if you've seen tragedy in others' lives, or suffered them in your own. Life has felt unmanaged, impossible, and lonely. It probably should on one level. A new acquaintance said recently that we shouldn't be so shocked when those around us experience a death of sorrow. It's always going to be a part of the story. Well, that's a bit simpled out, isn't it?

Regardless, gratitude is a key element to enjoying the here and now, I think. THIS cup of coffee. THIS pumpkin pie. THIS conversation (ok, argument). Especially valuable as I find myself with family at Thanksgiving. How many more times will we gather like this? For all of life's dysfunction, there is a great gift lying there in the midst that I could miss if I got too hung up on the politics of it all.

This must come with (gasp) age. I haven't found myself feeling like this much. It's taken the last few years to tenderize my heart towards that type of reflection. Yeah, sometimes, it means overlooking a lot. Maybe even beyond being the petty idiot I can be to actual hurts and wrongs done. Not to brush over all that many have to overlook about yours truly, but, once there, I am free to drink deep in fellowship with my family, and find myself grateful for that moment.

Here's to finding a way, while we can. And eating lots of turkey.

2 Comments:

Blogger GBug said...

you tenderise a piece of meat by bashing it over and over with a hammer that's got a spikey end. But the sweet flavours are released, and it melts-in-the-mouth, and it's so much easier to digest after it's done.

xx

8:26 AM

 
Blogger Charlie said...

surfed in from the land of sand. Looking forward to reading some of your thoughts.
B.P.C. Babcock

5:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home